Sunday, January 17, 2010

Facebook is a tool for socializing; socializing is not a tool of Facebook.

In IM:pact I was asked about Facebook and my reply is this: Facebook is not everything.

Let me elaborate here.

Sure Facebook is popular.  Sure almost everyone is on it.  Sure I wouldn't mind having it.  Sure it helps in socializing.  But think about this:  Does not having Facebook means I have no life?  Does having Facebook mean I become a better person?  Does it change anything if I don't have it?

If I have to have Facebook to be accepted then you guys are not really my friends.  If I join Facebook our relationship with each other would only be virtual...fake unless there's a follow up.  I can have one thousand friends in Facebook, but still have no real friends...no true friends.

Think further...many people are so busy with Facebook nowadays that studies and work are neglected.  Some countries are planning to ban Facebook.  Sure Facebook is helpful, but there is a limit to its helpfulness.  

Facebook is a tool for socializing; socializing is not a tool of Facebook.


Nothing sums it more than that.  It is a smart concept designed by some person who is now rich and that's all. I won't sign up for Facebook to save face.  I won't sign up because of peer-pressure.  So stop pressuring me already!  This issue is creating a bridge between me and my family and between me and my friends.

Like what the narrator in The Gods Must Be Crazy said when he talked about the coco cola bottle, "Something that was once not needed, became a necessity."

Was life really that bad before Facebook?  Were our lives so socially retarded that we need to cook ourselves up in front of a screen to talk to our next door neighbor?

Would this tool cause friends to become enemies like in the movie?  Would this tool cause us to fight amond ourselves?

I'm going to predict that you guys might write on the cbox that I'm saying this because I'm not allowed Facebook, but let me tell you this: I'm thankful for my parents, for their wisdom and their guidance.  I won't disobey them and get Facebook behind their backs...so stop tempting me.  By asking me to get Facebook, you are asking me to disobey my parents and you are asking me to break one of the Ten Commandments: Honor Your Parents.

I don't mind it in a joke, but don't ask me repeatedly about joining Facebook...seriously...it gets irritating.  I don't mind being in your 'Facebookless' jokes...but please keep them as jokes.  And I'm asking nicely =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Say for Today

If right-handers use their left brain, doesn't it mean that left-handers are always in the right mind??