Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Harsh Reality


When you are the law, who's above you?

Watched the Experiment. It's a movie version of the famous Zimbardo prison experiment that took place in Stanford College.  The difference with this movie is that the recruits were anybody who wanted money and the place was far from any civilization.  This movie is super disturbing especially for me as I know what happened during the real experiment.  

Some of the questions that are jumping around my head are: Since we know about this experiment, would the results be the same if there was a similar experiment on social roles?, Could things have gone better if the prisoner and guards were assigned opposite?, Why didn't the experimenters stop the experiment earlier?

I was hoping that the red light would turn on so many times, but the movie kept on going. When the red light finally blinked, I could feel the relief of everybody there. It reminds me of the movie Lord of the Flies. Both these movies are there to show what humanity is capable of at our darkest moments and this in particular scares me the most.  Can I still depend on friends to save me when we are all in trouble? Can I count on myself to put others before me? 

It's not really a good movie to watch when you want to sleep ><

1 comment:

A Say for Today

If right-handers use their left brain, doesn't it mean that left-handers are always in the right mind??