Monday, November 7, 2011

Young and Naive

These two words normally come hand in hand with each other.  Does that mean all youths are naive? Does that mean naivety can be only found in the young? Sure the youth tend to be naive at some point in time.  Sure, once  upon a time, we never questioned.  I mean I can't remember asking questions like "Who said that and is he or she credible?" Well, I didn't even know what credibility meant when I was young.  Everything was black and white.  It was either a truth or a lie.  I failed to ask, "why?" And it is only when you start questioning everything that you start developing a critical mind.

I vaguely remember being scolded for being curious.  When my parents asked me to get into the car, I would ask, "Where are we going?" When my parents told me that I could not do something, I would ask, "How come?" I was told to obey and maybe this is how naivety was developed? I do not know.

I find many people my age to be naive as well.  We seem to be mp3 players playing the same song over again. We rarely develop our own ideas and points, and we "borrow" ideas from people which we think are of authority.  Many of us claim that we are not naive but the funny thing is that claiming that you are not naive is being naive already.

So how are we to prove that we are matured? Mere words will not do.  People will always have a negative mindset catered towards the youth.  People will always think that the youths are naive. People will always think that we believe every word they say.  So how does that stop? Our actions must show that we are not naive.  We have to (I know it sounds cliche) think critically and maybe teach the world that stereotyping is not helpful at all.  We have to show the world that we can think for ourselves and know when to back down. We have to be matured and maybe others would bother listening to us.

Is it naive of me to think that naivety can be so easily broken?


Question everything; question everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Say for Today

If right-handers use their left brain, doesn't it mean that left-handers are always in the right mind??