Friday, May 11, 2012

Have a little faith

Out of the blue last week, I decided to buy a book when I was at Popular.  This was the first time a bought a book this year besides my textbooks.  I bought two books that day: The Hobbit and Have a Little Faith.  I haven't started the Hobbit yet because I have yet to finish reading Lord of the Rings, but I finished Have a Little Faith in three days...

Until now I'm not sure what compelled me to buy that book.  The title popped out when I was going through the 50% less pile.  I'm glad that I picked it up.

The book is written by Mitch Albom and his experiences with his Rabbi and a Pastor. The book is filled with life lessons that we often follow but never know why.  One thing I've brought back from the book was a reason why many of us believe in a god - we need someone to turn to when we are in our darkest moments.  Who do we blame when something unforeseen - like a death of a loved one - comes crashing to reality? Who can we ask for comfort?

Just like any beginning, the book started with a question. This question inspired Albom to write this book.  A Rabbi's request for Albom to do his eulogy turned into a lesson on life.  A lesson that would break religious barriers and show the difference between religious faith and religious hate.

The movie that came out showed some stories that were not in the book.  The movie showed more about Pastor Corvington.  He is a clear example of how God can take one messed-up man and change him into a vessel.  I would have thought that the movie would end with Albom giving the Rabbi's eulogy, but it ended in the church... It ended by telling that just after a year since the publication of the book, Pastor Corvington died.  But before he died, he did all he could do to appreciate the grace that God has given him.  Both the book and the movie are a challenge to me - to do the things that I can to help those that I can...

Maybe that's what we all need... we just need someone to challenge us and to have a little faith that it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Say for Today

If right-handers use their left brain, doesn't it mean that left-handers are always in the right mind??