Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Do the Saved need Saving?

Because of something that happened to me recently, this question popped into my head:

Do the saved need saving?

Hebrews 10:25 states: "Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

But do we still do this in the modern "maggi-mee" generation?  Nowadays I see more and more events to lure people into the Church - we have concerts, plays, rallies, and such, but what happens after the person is saved? Follow up is a rare practice in our modern world.  When you are saved, everyone assumes you are alright on your own. If you need anything, you can ask for it.  How rare have I ever heard anyone tell me, "Hey, you alright? Is there anything I can do for you?"; instead I often hear the "How are you?" and the classic response, "Alright".  Oh, how I sometimes wonder what would happen if I answered that question truthfully. Would you stay and listen attentively, or say you have something else that needs to be done? 

Many Christians still need saving, not from the question of their faith, but from their question of their fellow brothers and sisters.  

For me, who bothers about my place in the church? After all, almost everyone sees me as a Pastor's kid, a Reverend's boy, and the "He-doesn't-need-saving" kind.  Even though my "soul is secure", my faith is "solid", I'm a "good" Christian boy, I still need encouragement, I'm still human, I still need friendships.  

This is not a question of faith, as I said earlier.  It is, in fact, a question about Christians.  Why are we so double-minded? We portray to the outside world that we are a caring community, but that's just our screensaver.  We wear smiles every Sunday, but those who know us, know that somewhere behind that mask is an individual suffocating in his own facade. 

I've tried to be initiative even though it ran against my personality.  I tried to reach out to those corner kids, those with one leg out, because I know what they are going through.  I tried to be the welcoming one, but I'm drained - I'm tired now.  I'm tired of forcing a smile on my face.  

It feels like everyone's efforts are on the people walking into the main entrance of the Church, while they fail to notice those who are sneaking out the backdoor.  

What wake up call do we need to start being a community again?  Even though we are saved, we still need saving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Say for Today

If right-handers use their left brain, doesn't it mean that left-handers are always in the right mind??